Friday, December 18, 2009

Lunch, Books, & Dirt Malls.

The sketch I'm posting is from my lunch rendezvous with Micaela Ruiz and her friend Brittany. We went to Bangkok Cuisine (in Detroit; they serve THAI, but I won't eat that EVER because I'm PICKY) and I drew what was outside of the windows.Today I went to the library to pick up the books I had on hold: LORD OF THE RINGS (YESSS) and the third installment of The Mysterious Benedict Society. I like the MBS illustrations, which are done by Diana Sudyka, and I like her illustration of the little girl in the red coat that you can see in the bus. Her name is Constance, but she reminds me of myself; STUBBORN and an ANIMAL. The MBS books = my fave.Brother Chan and I went to the thrift store in search of an ugly Christmas sweater because apparently he gets extra credit for wearing one today (because that's a great educational incentive) in AP English? BUT something was pulling me towards the Taylor Town Trade Center. The TTTC is the dirt mall. Anyone familiar with the movie Mall Rats will understand what a dirt mall is. A dirt mall is like an indoor flea market with collectibles, video games, and other odds and ends. It's a giant second hand paradise that smells like your grandma's attic and houses the bizarre. The omega dirt mall is Gibraltar Trade Center which is only open on the weekends (bummer), but you can find a mean mullet should you decide to explore such a place. It's like walking into another dimension where merchants and buyers shuffle about like cockroaches. It's like that cushion on your couch that you're scared to look under because you don't know what you're going to find. Well, I didn't find anything, but I love going from time to time. Hallelujah dirt malls!

3 comments:

Jason Curtis said...

Great sketch up top.

Hmmm, I've never heard the term "dirt mall" before. Clearly I'm entirely out of touch.

Curtis McGuire said...

for some reason the top sketch reminds of the building Kevin McCallister hides out inside of in Home Alone 2

Anonymous said...

MY FAVORITE SKETCH. AND I CANNOT QUIT LAUGHING ABOUT THE MALLS. AWESOME CHELS..