Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lovers Embrace.

I just finished watching Before Sunrise before sunrise. The previous sentence isn't really a paradox or ironic so I don't know what to call it exactly. Funny? Kind of. Anyway, it's a Richard Linklater film (he also did Dazed and Confused, Waking Life, Before Sunset [the sequel I just placed on hold at the library], A Scanner Darkly, Fast Food Nation and a variety of other films). I love how Linklater constantly promotes communication and interaction between people. His films are often infused with lengthy, thought-provoking dialogue and it never seems contrived. I wish people talked more and carried on conversations in real life. I had a long talk last night with Angela Pham and I just miss having lengthy, deep conversations. I swear, trying to have a GOOD conversation is like pulling teeth. Everyone's always talking about surface stuff; boring, devoid of all meaning. I want something beyond that, but I really want it to happen organically. I guess it's just finding the right people. I digress though, the movie was great. I really enjoyed the spontaneity of the situation and the connection between the two main characters (Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke). Linklater has nailed it in the movies I have seen by him and I commend his efforts. I suggest checking it out. I hope the sequel is as good. I am often skeptical of sequels because they usually suck, but I'm optimistic about this one. We'll see.

Last night, Angela picked me up and I got to see a lot of my art friends (and some cool couch surfers). I also saw Curtis and gave him gifts. Angela gave me a gift too; LYCHEES! I was so happy! I haven't had lychee fruit in over a year. They are the most curious of things. The outside is a weird, spiky shell and you peel it to expose this sort of fleshy fruit that's milky in color. It's juicy and delicious. Luckily, everyone in the house hates them so I know they won't steal them.We went to see the Detroit Fireworks from the top of a giant building. We had to walk up what felt like 100 flights of stairs, but once we reached the roof, it was worth it. The view was spectacular. We waited about 10 minutes before the fireworks started and unlike last year, it wasn't as hot and it was a lot more peaceful and enjoyable from way up. However, just like last year, I didn't know when the finale was, but I tried my best to snap some shots. Click the photo to enlarge!

No comments: