Saturday, January 23, 2010

Friday Night at the DIA.

After pulling a 30 hour all nighter the night prior, I took it easy tonight. I woke up, got ready, and ventured with Micaela and Shelby to the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts). I love going to the DIA. I especially love going on Fridays because it's open late and they have live music. Tonight I saw Phyllis Chen and Johannes Moser. Phyllis played with a tiny piano! The donkey in the following picture is the only piece of art you can touch in the DIA. I feel like a rebel, even though it's allowed. The reason for its coat changing is because of all of the people that have touched it. It's pretty cool.This is my absolute favorite painting in the DIA. I always called it "Fireworks", but it's actually called "Nocture in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket" and it's by James Whistler. He did it in 1875. This painting fills me with wonder and excitement and this digital capture doesn't even justify how great this painting is in person.Did anyone else catch the final episode of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien? It was incredible. He went out with so much dignity and style. His speech right before Freebird was absolutely touching and his spirit lives on. Carpe diem, Conan.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i lovve Whistler! :) :) Next time you go to the DIA, call meeee. no one ever wants to go with me. haha

<3 deborahhhh

Shelby K said...

we had a good time to say the least. And thank you for the comment on my most recent post. Also, love the whistler photo, came out nicely.

Micaela said...

I had a wonderful time!

xoxoxoxo

as always

Anonymous said...

nice pic chels.