Monday, October 27, 2014

Bloody Face.

This is the big one. The one that inspired everything.

I finished it in September, but nope, couldn't post it then. Matt Benyo even said, "You should wait and post that in October" and so here we are. I was going to wait until Devil's Night, but the theme for today's Drawlloween is "Mask" and so this seemed too fortuitous to pass up.

Prior to AHS: Freakshow, Matt Benyo and I binge watched all 3 of the previous seasons of American Horror Story; except we watched it 2, 1, & 3. We heard terrible things about 2 so we weren't looking forward to it, but the 2nd season, Asylum, ended up being the best one.

I knew as soon as I saw Bloody Face in the first episode, I had to draw him or, in this case, paint him. Challenge accepted. However, what a challenge this turned out to be. I got 1/3 of the way done with it and wanted to throw in the towel, but I kept going. I used watercolor. I also took progress shots as I did it. When I finished it, I edited it in Photoshop and this is it, man.

Definitely one of the most intense paintings I've done. It's two sketchbook pages big. I didn't want to lose the essence of the watercolor, but at the same time, it needed to be opaque so I think I handled that balance well. Click to enlarge to see details!


No comments: