Saturday, September 3, 2011

NY In A Nutshell.

This post will be very long & all photos were taken by my friends. Also, if you want to look at the photos bigger, just click on them. I went with my bffls: Matt, Nathan, & Betsy to New York City. We took the Mega Bus and left at 7 am from Detroit. We headed to Pittsburgh where we stayed the night. On the bus, Matt Benyo and I acted like animals, but what else is new? I really liked Pittsburgh. We got nomz from some sandwich place where I ate chicken tenders because sandwiches are gross.We then found some fun dinosaurs. Here's a Glamasaurus and a Ketchtop dinosaur!Then we thought we would walk 4 miles to our hotel. WRONG. Our luggage was heavy and we underestimated the distance to the hotel. Mostly we were hot, sweaty, and laughing at how ridiculous it was. Then some random stranger in a car told me he loved my hair and I was happy. We also took a bus in Pittsburgh to get nearer to our hotel and everyone on the bus helped us out. They were amused by us too.The next day, we boarded the bus around 6 am and headed to New York. We were staying in New Jersey though so we went to our apartment. After that, we went to a park and I played Nathan in Chess, but Matt helped me. Nate beat me, but only because I was rusty and I haven't played Chess in 10 years. After THAT we went to Serendipity for Frozen Hot Chocolate and it was so good, but then we went to try to see Daniel Radcliffe because he's performing on Broadway. We waited for an hour in a barricade with about 500 people all around us, but we saw him! All I wanted to do was touch his hand, but I had 2 people in front of me and they weren't letting me through. This mom asked me to try to get him to sign something. He signed the thing she gave me and I was kinda sad and wanted to take it, but I gave it back like a good person. I wanted to scream something profound at Dan Rad, but I was speechless. Also, he is 5'5" and you could barely see him. Good thing Matt is tall and has a long arm to snap photos.The next day, we dressed to the 9's and went to the Nate Berkus show. I don't know if you know who Nate Berkus is, but he's one of the most charming men on day time television. We get to the show and it's raining a bit, but we find out that the show that taped before us was his birthday give-away show and he gave away $2,000 worth of stuff. Guess what we got? Nothing lolololol. Here we are before we left:When we got inside, they put us IN THE FRONT ROW. You know why? Cause we looked PHENOMENAL. The show is going to air in mid-september. I'll let you know when it airs. Here is a sneak photo from inside!Here is a nice photo with Betsy. By the end of the day, I was pouring sweat. I don't know what was going on. Let this be proof I started out looking okay.We got some Jamba Juice and it was the best thing in the world (as usual)!Then we took a bunch of group photos so I just made a compilation of them. The bottom right one is from THE PLAZA HOTEL (which we snuck into). The outside one is from Staten Island. We went there for about 5 minutes. When we went inside to wait for the Ferry, this angry New Yorker tried to pick a fight with a guy standing there. He said he was going to "Knock him out" and then proceeded to have a fake phone conversation with "Joe". You're not fooling anyone, Angry New Yorker, you just pretended to have that conversation.We went to the MoMA and there was this giant thing that you whispered inside of. I was singing the Harry Potter musical into the mic because I'm cool.Sometimes I would get close to Nate like this one time in Central Park.This is my favorite picture of the entire trip. Matt tried to scare me right before this was taken by screaming BOBBY in my ear/face. I was surprised moreso than scared. Notice Nathan creeping inbetween us. SO GOOD!Later that night, we went back over to New Jersey and went out to eat at this place called Oddfellow's. It was a Louisiana style restaurant and LET ME TELL YOU; the Mac and Cheese was seriously incredible. Like, I could eat that forever and probably gain 1 million pounds and not even care. I had ribs as my entree and it's impossible to eat ribs and not look like a maniac afterwards:The next day, both New Jersey and New York decided to have a hissy fit and shut down all the subways so we were screwed and stuck in New Jersey for TWO DAYS because of Irene. This was our first hurricane. Everyone was going nuts; buying all the water and filling their tubs. Well, we went to the pier (minus Betsy) and got SOAKED, but Irene was no match for us. You know what we said? Suck it, Irene and also Come On, Irene (like the song by Dexy's Midnight Runners minus Eileen).The next day we went to the mall. It was 2 minutes away. I ate Popeye's Chicken for the first time. I got chicken tenders. Betsy and I didn't realize the mall was closing at 2 which sucked, but before we left, Matt suggested I take a picture with Justin Bieber for my 3 little pals (Jordan, Leah, and Alayna). Then I sprayed his perfume all over me and left the mall. That night we watched the VMAs and Lady Gaga performed as Jo Calderone. She makes for a very handsome male.After being stuck in our apartment for two days, we headed to look at the damage. We didn't even lose power while enduring the wrath that was supposed to be Irene. The worst we saw was some flooding that came up over our ankles in Hoboken.The only thing that did suck was that it was really windy that day and I was wearing a dress. Stupid of me. When we got to the city, Matt and I played around and Matt ran around like he was in Nebraska. Eventually he stuck my head underneath a fountain and I was a little sad (that's why he has me in the head lock).We were sad that Irene took away two of our days in New York so we had to cram a lot into our last night and we did just that. Monday came and we headed OUT. Matt and I were rat watching the duration of our trip, but then we saw this giant rat and became the Official Rat Watch Champions of 2011.After that, we went to Central Park where I wanted to find this Alice in Wonderland statue and take a photo with it. I climbed up onto it and here is a photo, but I am glowing and hard to see. Thanks, SUNSHINE.We went to Times Square and met up with our friends Cody and Kory.We took a group photo in Times Square. We didn't have anywhere to stay that night so we ended up staying in Times Square. I mean, we stayed up all night and sat in Times Square. Who said that New York is the city that never sleeps? We were the only ones there around 1 am! It was ridiculous. We killed a couple hours in McDonald's because it got cold, but I never thought I'd see Times Square empty.In between all of this, we went to Grand Central and it was completely empty.Then, Matt Benyo and I went to the main concourse and laid on the ground to stare at the painted ceiling. Betsy and Nate didn't join, but it was a magical moment. TWO PEOPLE LAYING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CONCOURSE. The handful of people that were there just walked around us.Then we left New York at 6 am. We were all so exhausted from waking up the day before and walking around all night that we fell asleep, but we had these two British girls behind us SCREAMING into their phones so we kept waking up. Also, our bus driver, Patrick, almost killed us because he was behind schedule so he drove like a maniac. It took us 16 hours to get home, but it wasn't that bad. Matt and I watched True Blood and all of us laughed about our fellow passengers and drivers. It was a really good trip. I can't wait to go back, really.


Matt Benyo said...

Where to start? Hmmm...

In Pittsburgh, the guy who said he liked your hair also got scolded by his mother for helping THOSE (us) people.

Nate Berkus is also one of the fakest people on daytime television.

Joe, it's good to hear from you Joe.


Janine: "That's not even that bad."
Chelsea: "Well what do you expect JANINE. I was in public."

Irene < us.

Eventually I stuck your head under a fountain because you had it coming!

Why didn't we get a rat shaped trophy?

My uncle asked me last night, "Why was Chelsea climbing all over that statue (Alice)? Did she get in trouble?" LOL

There were still people in Times^2 at 1, it emptied out around 3, when we left Micky D's.

I see what you done did there to my shirt.


kim said...

Loved reading about your trip. I'm surprised you guys didn't kill eachother in that tiny apt. I heard that Nate wanted to have his but bloom... or something like that? so he stuck betsy's carnation in his crack. I'm glad he was keeping it classy. i'm glad you guys survived the storm! I'm still upset that everyone was too lazy to skype with me!! I'll get over it,, one day.

i'll start blogging again eventually. I just haven't been in the blogging mood lately.