Tuesday, November 16, 2010

FINAL ADVICE.

My friend, NIKKI DESAUTELLE, called me out on being a cheese ball with all of this advice so I won't prolong the advice anymore. I had like 200 left, but I whittled it down to these ones. The final pieces of advice from Love and Learn and Pass It On: People ages 5 to 95 share what they've discovered about life, love, and other good stuff by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

I've learned that...
ultimately, takers lose and givers win. -Age 58
a person's greatest need is to feel appreciated. -Age 45
time does seem to go faster the older you get. -Age 48
an insatiable curiosity is important to never getting old. -Age 71
big problems always start out small. -Age 20

moving away from my closest friends was much harder to do than I ever thought it would be. -Age 26
what a child learns at home lasts until the grave. -Age 85
there's no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs. -Age 48
the only thing you owe life is to become the best you can be. -Age 31
if you smile at people, they will almost always smile back. -Age 81

it's better to be decisive, even if it means I'll sometimes be wrong. -Age 51
learning to forgive takes practice. -Age 15
it's better not to wait for a crisis to discover what's important in your life. -Age 45
we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel. -Age 51
I make the little decisions with my head and the big decisions with my heart. -Age 52

there is always someone who cares. -Age 75
choices made in adolescence have long-term consequences. -Age 49
a fulfilled life is not possible without friends. -Age 39
you should invest in your family first and your career second -Age 48
if you depend on others to make you happy, you'll be disappointed. -Age 60

the most creative ideas come from beginners-not the experts. -Age 62
everyone has something to teach. -Age 51
envy is the enemy of happiness. -Age 73
making a living is not the same thing as making a life. -Age 58
you can't please some people, no matter what you do. -Age 35

if you wait until all conditions are perfect before you act, you'll never act. -Age 64
you either control your attitude or it controls you. -Age 47
the best advice you can give anyone is, "Be kind." -Age 66
even the happiest people have down days. -Age 27
the greatest risk is thinking too small. -Age 61

you should fill your life with experiences, not excuses. -Age 51
a good feeling gets even better when it's shared. -Age 14
you can have a fancy education and still not be very wise. -Age 69
you can't pay somebody to practice for you. -Age 52
worry is often a substitute for action. -Age 50

you can have fun regardless of how little money you have. -Age 63
people don't want advice, but understanding. -Age 40
failures always blame someone else. -Age 62
nothing very bad or very good ever lasts very long. -Age 66
you should treasure your children for what they are, not for what you want them to be. -Age 39

the important thing is not what others think of me, but what I think of me. -Age 38
my worst decisions were made when I was angry. -Age 62
you can always get more money, but you can never get more time. -Age 65
you often take out your frustrations on the people you love the most. -Age 29
when people aim for what they want out of life, most aim too low. -Age 75

you can love someone and still not like him very much. -Age 26
if love isn't taught in the home it's difficult to learn it anywhere else. -Age 51
people are more influenced by how much I care than by how much I know. -Age 54
hatred is like acid. It destroys the vessel that holds it. -Age 56
a woman would rather be complimented about her intelligence than looks. -Age 39

regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow are twin thieves that rob us of the moment. -Age 29
plotting revenge only allows the people who hurt you to hurt you longer. -Age 40
there are still some things I haven't made up my mind about yet. -Age 91
the trick is to live a long time without growing old. -Age 73
when someone gives you free tickets, don't complain about the show. -Age 45

the trip is often more fun than the destination. -Age 62
to get the right answer, you have to ask the right question. -Age 39
it's never too late to improve yourself. -Age 85
when visiting, it takes five seconds to say "hello" but about thirty minutes to say "good-bye." -Age 48
fame is written in ice and eventually the sun comes out. -Age 57

many people give up just when they are about to achieve success. -Age 48
the best way to appreciate something is to be without it for awhile. -Age 14
we grow only when we push ourselves beyond what we already know. -Age 53
you can never have too many friends. -Age 16
there are people who love you dearly but just don't know how to show it. -Age 41

when things get easy, it's easy to stop growing. -Age 53
people are in such a hurry to get to the "good life" that they rush past it. -Age 72
money is a lousy means of keeping score. -Age 71
you can inherit wealth but never wisdom. -Age 51
it's never too late to heal an injured relationship. -Age 57

you have little chance of finding the husband of your dreams in a bar. -Age 29
every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love that human touch-holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. -Age 85
to keep looking ahead. There are still so many good books to read, sunsets to see, friends to visit, and old dogs to take walks with. -Age 86
you shouldn't do anything that wouldn't make your mother proud. -Age 51
I still have a lot to learn. -Age 92

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks ND.
Now I have to sit here and read all of these which will take me about 10 hours.

Nikki DeSautelle said...

THERE'S SO MUCH

Matt Benyo said...

I read all of them. It took me at least 12 hours.

I like the smile one!

"fame is written in ice" don't I know it...

Anonymous said...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Anonymous said...

I didn't read all of them because it's 4am

I like "I make the little decisions with my head and the big decisions with my heart." -Age 52