Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Senior Studio & Blind Contours.

We've got a new president and I've got some new work! I've been getting back into painting and, as a result, I've produced these images. The first one is Butch Walker. Butch Walker is one of my favorite musicians (ever) and this is a sort of homage to him. With both of these assignments, I wanted to take a new approach to my work. I read in Illustration Now that there's this illustrator that starts his work out with a blind contour so he isn't influenced by a style so I did that with these. Basing my idea/sketch off of a blind contour, I was able to rely on my hand as opposed to outside influence. I really like working this way because, as my dear friend Maria Filar pointed out, I'm not trying to make it realistic. Here's the initial sketch that the painting was based off. I really liked the sketch a lot and I think I may go back and try to do something with it, but here it is:And here's the finished painting; rendered on wood using gouache and mixed media:I finished this assignment up yesterday and handed it in today for critique. It's based off of Eric from Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. Eric has a really great hat collection so I put his crown hat on him because he is a king! I mostly wanted to experiment and just have fun with this piece and my mission was accomplished. I used acrylic (as opposed to gouache) and some mixed media:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy crap chelsea, I love these...great work.

Andrea Kowch said...

Lookin' good, Chelsea!

Maria Filar said...

you should do something with the butch walker drawing with the magic marker technique!!! then you can experiment over and over

Micaela said...

AMAZING

The painting turned out so amazing. I love the connection between the colors of the background, shirt and hands with detail in the face. This color use speaks to me in the way of him being drained out by his life (as a musician, artist or life in general) or rather being revived slowly by such things.

I can't wait to trade portraits!

xoxo

see you tonight!

p.s. I need to see this in person!

Al Z said...

i like where these are going. vuuurry much. not to say i don't like them each because they are fab. but this direction...neat..very neat.

Matthew Byle said...

thats a pretty neat technique i like the contour finished piece a lot!

e2r said...

this is really great.
the contrast, from the other work i have seen of yours, is relly cool.
neato.

Nicole Jarecz said...

wow. these are looking great!! you should really do more with this technique... now im inspired

Lauren said...

sweeeeet