Friday, January 14, 2011

World's Tiniest Portrait.

I've wanted to paint since Matt Benyo told me he liked this painting that I did because that was a breakthrough piece for me due to its small size. This time around, I wanted to challenge myself to go even smaller. While talking to my friend Alex, I busted out my gouache and bammed this painting out in 2 hours. It's an inch high and less than an inch wide, but for how small it is, I managed to get a lot in there. I must admit, It looks better (& smoother) in real life, but it is what it is. I painted it on a flap from a box of Crayolas. This is Stephen Foster. He wrote "Oh! Susanna".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is rad. IT'S SO TINY. Paint a picture of my face!

I like that you're back to your art, son.

- Rhiannon

Matt Benyo said...

You BAMMED it out?

Who are you, me?

I like it a lot! It amazes me how much you can do on such little space -- and how much detail you can give it.

It doesn't look very smooth, but I like the texture it gives it.

Oh! Stephen. Why so sad, my friend?

vince said...

chelsea k. this is AWESOME. i love it. it's good to see you painting again. i just recently started again myself. . .

Julia Maiuri said...

this...
is...
AWESOME.

never stop!

Cori Steele said...

This is really awesome Chelsea! How did you chose Mr. Foster to honor in tiny portraiture?

Kat Friday said...

!!!
I love tiny art things. I think you should continue with your awesome mini portraitures... and when you have 1,001 have a giant party with bouquets of magnifying glasses and monocles.
And thank you for motivating me to draw more with your genuinely kind compliments! I cannot express enough how much I appreciate them =)


P. S. the Poe portrait is also very wonderful

Gabi Perez said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOOW